Monday 10 June 2013

A True Judo Story


A TRIBUTE TO MATSUTARO OTANI SENSEI - 1896 - 1977. 

Matsutaro Otani Sensei worked for many years as a sword-smith at the `Wilkinson Sword factory in London - Making British Army Officers swords. The photo shows Sensei making the actual sword that Kirk Douglas used in the film ` Spartacus ` - Kirk came to the factory and was presented with the sword by Otani Sensei.


By W. Stopps


W `Bill` Stopps Sensei was the first personal assistant to Matsutaro Otani Sensei from 1947.
This true story had never been published until Bill gave me the opportunity to read his memoirs. I enjoyed the story so much, I asked Bill if I could publish it on my website - he agreed.
He tells of a time before one could buy a Judo gi, he actually made one out of sail cloth.

To read this story - Click here. ->  Tribute to Matsutaro Otani Sensei

No comments:

Post a Comment